The following process should be followed by applicants seeking admission to the Doctor of Physical Therapy program at Kean University. Please note: The DPT program admits annually, and begins a new cohort during the SUMMER semester (see Curriculum).
Bachelor's degree (or foreign equivalent) from an accredited college or university
A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
GPA of 3.0 or better with specific course pre-requisites
Official copies of ALL post-secondary transcripts (this includes transcripts that reflect transfer credit)
- Evidence of satisfactory completion (within the previous 10 years) of all course prerequisites (grade of "C" or higher) or plan to complete the specific program prerequisites prior to matriculation
3 Letters of Recommendation
At least one MUST be from a licensed physical therapist
At least one MUST be from someone who can comment on academic performance
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score taken within 5 years of the time of application
Doctorate in Physical Therapy- PTCAS GRE Institution Code 7444
Completed PT Experience Form required at time of application
- Departmental Interview (for invited applicants)
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score reports
- 3 credits- English Composition
- 3 credits- General Psychology
- 3 credits- Upper-level Psychology, Sociology or Philosophy
- 8 credits- Biological Sciences (with labs)-A two-semester sequence in biology
- 8 credits- Anatomy and Physiology (with labs)-A two-semester sequence in A&P
- 8 credits- Chemistry (with labs)-A two-semester sequence in chemistry
- 8 credits- Physics (with labs)-A two-semester sequence in physics
- 3 credits- Statistics
- No grade below C and no more than one retake on any prerequisite course will be accepted for fulfillment of a listed prerequisite.
- AP or placement exams will not be considered in fulfillment of a listed prerequisite.
- Meet and greet with School/Program faculty
- Individual/group interview with program faculty
- Mock Team-based or Problem-based learning activity with assessment.
- Campus tour with current Kean University students
- Q&A session for questions pertaining to admissions, financial aid, etc.
The Doctor of Physical Therapy does not allow applicants to defer their admission. If you have any questions or concerns with this policy, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.
No transfer credits are accepted into the Doctor of Physical Therapy program.
Public Notice of Candidacy
Effective May 2016, Kean University has been granted Candidate for Accreditation status by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA, 22314; phone: 703-706-3245; email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Candidate for Accreditation is a pre-accreditation status of affiliation with the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education that indicates that the program is progressing toward accreditation and may matriculate students in technical/professional courses. Candidate for Accreditation is not an accreditation status nor does it assure eventual accreditation. Furthermore, though achievement of Candidate for Accreditation status signifies satisfactory progress toward accreditation, it does not assure that the program will be granted accreditation. More information about the accreditation process through Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) can be found at http://www.capteonline.org/