Graduate Financial Aid

How to Apply for Aid

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the only application required by Kean University to apply for financial aid for state and federal programs.

To be considered for financial aid at Kean University, please follow these steps:

New Students

Go to ( Federal Student Aid Pin Web Site and request a Federal Personal Identification Number (PIN).  You will need this PIN to electronically sign your financial aid application. Complete the 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at ( beginning January 1 for fall 2013 and spring 2014 admission. Filing the FAFSA electronically is the fastest and easiest way to complete the application.  In order for the Office of Financial Aid to receive your FAFSA you must enter the Kean University federal ID number (002622).  The priority deadline for filing the FAFSA is April 17th for the full academic year and by November 1st for the spring term.

After you have filed a FAFSA, the federal processing center will send an email confirmation to the email address you provided on your FAFSA.  You may also receive a paper Student Aid Report (SAR) within four weeks mailed to your home address. This document contains a summary of all the information you provided on the FAFSA. It should be kept as an official receipt and should be reviewed for accuracy.

Based on the information contained within the SAR you may receive a request from the Office of Financial Aid to submit certain documents.  This request will be sent to your Kean email account.  In order to prevent processing delays, you must respond to requests for information in a timely manner.

Check KeanWISE periodically to view your current financial aid status, award letter and required documents.

Continuing Students

Students must reapply for financial aid each school year by submitting the renewal FAFSA.  The FAFSA is made available January 1st of each year.  The renewal FAFSA can be accessed at the www.FAFSA.ED.GOV website.  Students who previously applied for financial aid will be asked to update income and household related information.  The awarding of financial aid for continuing students generally begins after the spring grades have been processed.


Direct Loan

Unsubsidized Direct Loans are available at the graduate level to students who are matriculated at least half time in a Masters or Doctorate program. Students can receive up to $20,500 per academic year and the loan carries a fixed interest rate of 6.8%. Interest begins accruing from the time the loan is first disbursed, to the time that the loan amount is repaid in full. The total amount a borrower can receive in Federal Direct loans over their academic career (undergraduate and graduate) is $138,500.

In order to accept an Unsubsidized Direct Loan, eligible students must complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling session at

Graduate Plus Loan

The Graduate PLUS Loan is a credit based, fixed interest rate (7.9%) student loan funded through the United States government that provides assistance for graduate and professional degree students.  Students may borrow up to the cost of education minus any other sources of funding. Students must be credit worthy to qualify and must be enrolled at least part-time.  In order to apply for the Graduate PLUS Loan students must be matriculated in a program leading to a Masters or Doctorate degree. Students can apply for the Graduate PLUS Loan at


Kean University participates in the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant program. The TEACH Grant is available to graduate students enrolled in an eligible program.  Students enrolled in the Graduate certification programs via Graduate Admissions are eligible (undergraduate certification students are ineligible).

Students do not have to apply for the TEACH Grant. The Office of Financial Aid identifies students who may be eligible and awards them accordingly. Students who meet the eligibility criteria will receive a notification sent to their Kean e-mail account with instructions to complete the Entrance Counseling and Agreement to Serve.  

*If you believe you qualify for the TEACH Grant and you did not receive an eligibility notification, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at .

Graduate Certificate Programs

Independent students who qualify may receive up to $5500 in the Direct Subsidized Loan and $7,000 in the Direct Unsubsidized loan per academic year based on enrollment as a matriculated student, registered at least half time (6credits) in a program leading to a graduate teaching certificate. Students enrolled in certification programs leading to a credential for an education related occupation, other than teacher, are ineligible for federal loans.  The aggregate undergraduate loan limit per borrower, including any previous loans, cannot exceed $57,500.

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay educationally related expenses. The program offers jobs on campus and with off-campus community service agencies. Students earn hourly wages and can work up to 20 hours per week. The program is available to both graduate and undergraduate students. Work-Study applications are available at the Financial Aid Forms page. Please click here for more information on the Federal Work Study Program.

Private Loans

Students who have exhausted their eligibility for federal loans and still have remaining unmet costs can apply for private loans offered through a lending institution and separate from the federal loan programs.  Private loan interest rates vary and tend to be higher than the federal loans, therefore applicants should compare rates amongst different lenders. Eligibility for private loans is based on the creditworthiness of the borrower and/or co-signer, if applicable. Please contact the lender directly with any questions related to a loan program's specific terms and conditions.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Kean University Academic Progress Policy conforms to Federal and State regulations that govern financial aid programs and require all financial aid recipients to (1) be in good academic standing and to (2) be making academic progress toward a degree in a reasonable amount of time. Satisfactory academic progress will be monitored at the end of each fall and spring semester. Please see the SAP Policy link on KeanWise for more detailed information.

International Students seeking financial assistance may find the following site useful:


Updated 2/19/13