Certification in Bilingual Education
Main Campus (Union, NJ)
Fall: June 1
Spring: December 1
The Graduate Certification Program in Bilingual/Bicultural Education is designed to prepare certified teachers (P3, K-6, K-6/5-8, K-12) for work in bilingual settings. Our goal is for bilingual/multilingual professional to acquire a foundation in language and literacy and teaching methodologies that assist them in accommodating the needs of diverse learners from various educational, linguistic, and cultural backgrounds.
In addition to the University’s admission requirements:
- New Jersey Standard Instructional Certificate or CEAS
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0*
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- Personal statement
- Professional Resume/CV
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (for applicants who have been educated abroad and whose native language is not English), Exceptions can be made for students who have completed at least 6 credits of college level English courses from a U.S. institution, or who have submitted SAT or ACT exam scores.
*Candidates who believe their record warrants further review should reach out to the program coordinator to discuss their candidacy.
- 15-18 credits
- Passing score on English (OPI and WPT) and second language (OPI and WPT) before the end of the first semester
|CERTIFICATION COURSES – 18 CREDITS|
|EMSE 5403||The Bilingual Child in American Society||3 credits|
|EMSE 5404||History & Culture of the Limited English Proficient Student||3 credits|
|EMSE 5410||Developing Language & Reading Skills in a Bilingual Setting||3 credits|
|EMSE 5411||Teaching Content Areas in a Bilingual/Multicultural Schools||3 credits|
|EMSE 5420||Basic Theory & Practice of Teaching English as a Second Language||3 credits|
|EMSE 5810||Systematic Observation & Field Experiences in Bilingual/Multicultural Schools*||3 credits|
*May be waived for experience in teaching LEP students in a Bilingual Program
NOTE: Students who intend to pursue a Master’s degree in Bilingual/Bicultural Education at the completion of the certification program must re-apply for the Master’s program and fulfill the admissions requirements for that program.
TOTAL OF 18 CREDITS TO COMPLETE CERTIFICATION
FOR INFORMATION REGARDING APPLICATION
FOR PROGRAM DETAILS
DR. GAIL VERDI